Those who venture the kitchen on a daily basis, would definitely face ‘a cook’s block’, which means, you can’t really figure out what to prepare. It seems as if you’ve prepared everything that could be cooked. Nothing seems interesting or challenging anymore but there are mouths to feed and time is running out, so you begin to feel the tension building up. The easiest option, stating a matter of fact, would be eating out. However, having to dress up and decide where to go and what to order would make you think twice. So, how do you tackle the matter?
Many would opt for instant noodles or fried eggs topped with soy sauce over a plate of white rice. On the other hand, those who don’t really prefer rice would go for sandwiches or simply having a few pieces of biscuits dipped in a piping hot mug of Milo. Well, the problem seems to be sorted out if you are alone but what if you have more than one mouth (with different preference, undoubtedly) to feed? In order to settle this matter, I’ve decided to share this simple roast chicken recipe – my problem solver on my ‘cook’s block’ days. Who would say ‘NO’ to a roast chicken? Do have try because it is very straight forward, just like the MAGGI Instant noodles tagline -Fast to Cook, Better to eat!
SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN ALA CIKYAH
- 1 chicken (about 1-1.5kg) (cleaned and pat dry)
- 2 onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 10 pieces of dried chillies (seeded, soaked in boiling water and drained)
- 2 teaspoonfuls of fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoonfuls of cummin seeds
- 1 tablespoonful of coriander seeds
- 1 piece of chicken cube
- 1 teaspoonful of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoonful of sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoonfuls of cooking oil
- salt to taste
- enough aluminium
- Preheat your oven at 170C ( I used the roasting option) for 15 minutes.
- Grind onion, garlic, ginger,dried chillies, fennel seeds,cummin seeds and coriander seeds till fine.
- Put ground into a bowl and add in other ingredients till a paste is formed.
- Rub this paste all over your chicken. Next, put your chicken onto a roasting tin and cover tightly with aluminium foil.
- Bake the chicken covered for 1 hour.
- Then, remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150C and bake for another 15 minutes to brown the skin.
- Serve hot.