The whole of last week had seen me suffering from bad cough, runny nose and recurring feverish feeling. It was indeed a very, very bad time for me but yes, I still went to school without fail. I had been omitting certain types of food which are labelled unsuitable to be taken in my condition with hopes for a speedy recovery but the illnesses just wouldn’t want to go away. I know it’s about time for an immediate action and you want to know what I did? Well, I started taking ice cream, ice-cold drinks and spicy food and hey presto! I did feel better. I guess, it takes different measures with different people and with me, it is always the weird way to the rescue!
On Sunday, I was in the mood of something soupy so I ‘d prepared a simple dish below. I’d paired my soup with blanched flat rice noodles and it turned out to be quite a satisfying meal for me. You may find this hardly a recipe but as I’ve said times and times, cooking is certainly a wonderful world of uncharted territories and unexpected outcomes. You would like the dish or decided that the first try would remain the first and the last. Anyway, happy experimenting folks!
CHICKEN BALL SOUP WITH VEGETABLES
- 3 shallots
- 5 pips of garlic
- 2 teaspoonfuls of white peppercorns
- 10 chicken balls (halved)
- 1 medium size carrots (julienned)
- 1 medium size ripe tomato (cut into wedges)
- 5-6 pieces of fresh button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 bunches of Chinese mustard leaves (choy sam) (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 piece of chicken cube
- 3 cups of water
- some cooking oil
- salt to taste
- In a pestle and mortar, pound shallots and garlic till fine.
- In a pot, heat cooking oil a stir fry pounded ingredients till fragrant and pour in water.
- Let to boil and put in chicken cube and stir till dissolve.
- Put in your carrot and let to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Next, put in choy sum and chicken balls and let to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and put in mushrooms and tomato wedges. Stir and turn off the heat.
- Spoon over your noodles.
- Serve hot.