1/2 a chicken(deboned and cut into small cubes; keep the bones aside)
3 pips of garlic
3 cm piece of ginger
1 cup of rice ( soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained)
1 chicken cube
salt and ground white pepper to taste
1/2 tsp of sesame seeds oil
2 red chillies (deseeded and chopped finely; mixed with 2 tbsp of sweet soy sauce)
2 eggs (fried into an omelette and sliced thinly)
fried shallots (optional)
sliced spring onion and Chinese parsley (optional) (mine are all carnivorous so I’ve opted these out)
- Put in the bones and water into a pot and let to boil. Then strain to get the stock.
- Next, chop the shallots, garlic and ginger finely.Then, heat some oil in another pot and stir fried the chopped ingredients till fragrant.
- Put in the chicken and stir again. Put in the rice and stir so all grains are coated with oil.
- After that, put in the chicken stock and chicken cube and let to simmer on a low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from getting burnt and stick to the pot.
- When you are happy with the consistency, add salt and white pepper to taste. You may need to add more water if you want a thinner porridge.
- Scoop into a bowl and sprinkle with the garnishing.
- You can now enjoy your porridge.