When it comes to preparing a dish, I always go for something simple yet satisfying. For tonight’s dinner, I have prepared hubby’s favourite, which is tomyam. I got this recipe from ‘Healthy Recipes, The Wise Choice’ cookbook series(Vol.1) but I have adapted it to suit my tastebud. Personally, tom yam is my choice of dish to cook when I have to go to school much earlier than the usual time.
TOM YAM A LA CIKYAH
1/2 a chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
10 medium size prawns (shelled but leave the tail intact)
10 fishballs (cut into halves)
5 ripe tomatoes (cut 2 tomatoes into wedges)
6 red chillies
3 pips of garlic (bashed)
a thumb size of galangal (sliced and bashed)
2 lemongrass (bruised)
8-10 birds eye chillies
5 pieces of kaffir lime leaves
3 sprigs of coriander leaves
1 yellow onion (cut into rings)
1 cup of cauliflower
1 cup of broccoli
1/2 carrot (cut into thin strips)
3 baby corn (sliced thinly)
2 tbsp of fish sauce
4 tbsp of lime juice
salt to taste
- First, in a pot, boil the chicken pieces in 5 cups of water over a medium fire.
- Next, grind 3 tomatoes and red chillies until fine. Then, put in this mixture into the boiling chicken stock. Levae to boil again.
- Then, put in the birds eye chillies, lemongrass, garlic, onion rings and all the vegetables. Stir until cooked.
- Then, put in the prawns, fishballs, fish sauce, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves and coriander leaves. Let to simmer and add salt to taste.
- Serve with hot, plain white rice.